As part of our 25 year gallery celebration and exhibition What I Was Thinking, we thought it would be great to ask a few photographers in the exhibition to answer James Lipton’s Top 10 Questions. Each week we will post a different photographer’s response to the list of questions. Here are Gregory Scott’s responses to James Lipton’s Top 10 Questions:
1. What is your favorite word? Imagine.
2. What is your least favorite word? Can’t
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Two part answer: Interaction with others. Creative dialogue that pushes ideas back and forth is always more productive and surprising than working alone.
Being completely immersed in a project. I love inventing, designing and building. When I’m fully engaged with the act of doing something new ideas and solutions materialize that I could never have foreseen. THAT is exciting, because things happen that I never expected of myself.
4. What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? The trite and cliché. If I’ve seen it a hundred times before it isn’t likely to stimulate my eyes or my mind. I’m hoping this answer isn’t trite…
5. What sound or noise do you love? I once made a ping pong ball holder/dispenser out of a 2 foot piece of pvc tubing. It was just slightly larger than the balls and when a ball was inserted at the top it would travel slowly down the tube making a noise almost like a musical instrument. There was something incredibly satisfying about that sound.
6. What sound or noise do you hate? The ice cream truck. I fantasize about having a rocket launcher.
7. What is your favorite curse word? Fuck. It’s all-purpose, can be inserted almost anywhere in a sentence, and is one of the few words still bleeped on Comedy Central. I like “rats” too. It’s not really a curse word, but it fits so many of life’s little disappointments and failures. “Cooter” cracks me up. Hey… is it too late to change my favorite word to cooter?
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Running back or race car driver. Fast and faster.
9. What profession would you not like to do? Plumber. ewwwww…
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? “You gave moments of joy to people you never even met. Good job. Oh, and don’t worry about that atheism thing.”
CEG will be showing new work by Greg at Art Miami, December 4 -9, 2012.
To see more work click HERE.